It is reported that Orange S.A the French multinational telecommunication corporation has shown interest to invest on MCI (Hamrah-e Aval) the dominant mobile operator in Iran. Turkcell the leading mobile phone operator of Turkey is also eying on Iran’s market to further expand in the region.

Many international companies had shown enthusiasm to invest in Iran’s tech sectors since the nuclear talks initiated. Now that the nuclear agreement with Iran has arrived many companies are expected to flock to the country. The leading mobile operator in Iran, MCI had a jump in Tehran Stock Exchange in the past days due to rumors regarding to Orange S.A planning to buy shares in this Iranian company.

A few months ago, Iran’s Minister of Communications had informed the press about the possibility of Orange making an appearance in the country to buy shares in one of the local operators. It’s been said that this deal might get finalized as President Rouhani is planning to visit Paris next week. MCI has over 17 million postpaid and 49 million prepaid subscribers. In April 2014 MCI reached a market value of $4.3 billion.

Turkcell the leading mobile operator in Turkey with over 34 million subscribers is also looking to expand to Iran. “Iran is a huge market and in our focus. We are closely watching the Iranian market and in touch with all of its fixed line and mobile operators.” said Kaan Terzioğlu, CEO of Turkcell to Reuters. In 2004 the company lost its chance to win a mobile license in Iran which was then awarded to South Africa’s MTN Group. It seems that Turkcell is eager to try its luck once more to enter Iran’s market.

MTN Irancell is the second largest mobile phone operator in Iran. Irancell has two shareholders, One being Iran Electronic Development Company (IEDC) with 51 percent share and the other being South Africa’s MTN Group with 49 percent. The South African shareholder anticipates to take home its $1.1 billion accumulated dividends, now that the economic sanctions on Iran have been lifted.

You can find more information about MCI on the links below:

Iran’s First Operator MCI in Talks With Two Foreign Bidders

MCI’s CEO: More Than 60% of Mobile Communication Belongs to MCI

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz